A village has now re opened its community centre after a lengthy programme of refurbishment. The Harrold Centre or The Institute as it is also known, was originally built and donated to the village by a local family in 1904.
The refurbishment was made possible thanks to generous donors including a £50,000 donation by the Connolly Foundation. The total cost is expected to be just under £400,000. The main hall in the Centre will be named The Connolly Hall in recognition of the Foundation’s contribution.
After a number of years of fund raising work finally began late last year and the Centre now includes a much larger hall, which can seat up to 130 people, a new atrium and bar facilities, making it suitable for wedding receptions, other parties and celebrations.
There are now two committee rooms, an improved billiards room and a special medical consulting room. There is also a caretaker’s flat as part of the complex.
In 2012 the Board of Trustees embarked on a scheme to bring the building up to date.
The Hall, which has been owned by a charity, the Harrold Institute since 1974, needed to upgrade and enlarge the building to better serve the community and bring in more revenue.
Alison Foster, Borough Councillor for Harrold, Carlton and Odell opened the revamped Centre recently.